Saturday, August 16, 2008

The City Museum - Strange Swimmy Things

.
The City Museum has a large area it calls the World Aquarium. The name is a bit overblown. It's a big space filled with a haphazard, slightly tacky assortment of wet displays, some of which are quite interesting. Look closely at this. It's a tiny bug-eyed fish, maybe 75 mm long, that seems to keep its gaze half over and half under the water. The better to see you with, my dear.

SCIENCE UPDATE: thanks to commenter jm from Portugal for identifying this fish as a member of the genus anableps and to my wife for her research revealing that these critters have four eyes, two for under the water, two for above. See here for info.

WHAT BROUGHT A SMILE TO ME TODAY: I got an unexpected call from my old, dear friend Jessie, wanting to confirm that my wife and I will be in Seattle over Labor Day weekend (and we will). She gave me a few ideas about restaurants that I think she'd like us to take her to. We'd be delighted.

TOMORROW: Snakes! In a museum!

7 comments:

Virginia said...

Now this is a cool shot and a very unusual fish. The reflection makes it even more so. i have to tell you I am already getting nervous about tomorrow's offering. I have a teeeny tiny snake phobia. EEEWWWWW!

Jilly said...

My goodness, what a scary creature and one I'd not like to meet in a dark alleyway. Great photo that accentuates the fear. The better to see you with , my dear - ha ha - made me laugh.

Unknown said...

That is a fantastic shot of what I believe to be one anableps sp.
Very good!

Victor said...

You have such a great eye for the odd. Just a great eye for everything really. I stop by every day.

Cheers!

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

I don't know if I'd use the word tacky per se. I thought it was pleasantly ramshackle. Anyway, this is a superb image.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful black and White! This one and the pipe organ and chute one I think are my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Ooh I like this picture a lot! Fantastic water effects, and what a bizarre looking fish!