Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Almost As Realistic As A Photograph

.
Looking north on 6th Street from just south of the downtown core.

My style of HDR photos has vaguely reminded of the work of some painter but I couldn't place it. It finally came to me yesterday: Richard Estes. You can see a large sample of his work through Google Images here. He is a member of the 20th Century school of (mostly) American painting known as Photorealism. Other members of the movement include Ralph Goings and Chuck Close. Close is a personal favorite but his work has gone far beyond approximations of photographs. Again, Google Images provides many examples (click here).

The link I see between some HDR photographs and photorealist paintings is this: they sort of look like conventional photos but not completely. More like paintings of photographs with detail, color and tonality modulated to suit the artist. People often see the images as hyper-real. A photographer with software like Photomatix Pro, which I use (thanks to Minneapolis CDPBer Greg for the tip), doesn't have nearly the range of options of a painter but, still, we can lift a scene like this one to something above the mundane. Plus, it just looks cool. I will now get off my soap box.

WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DO LAST NIGHT BUT DIDN'T: start an introductory yoga class. I'm 58 and have poor physical flexibility and balance - thought it might do me some good. But I left work late and was tired (whah) and didn't want another obligation. So I came home, had a bite and wrote this. And I'm happy.

TOMORROW: more HDR with the Thursday Arch Series, plus a new post on Gateway.

9 comments:

Olivier said...

une superbe maitrise du HDR, j'aime beaucoup. En Avril, j'espère que l'on pourra se voir à Paris.
a superb workmanship of HDR, I like very much. In April, I hope that they will be able to see each other in Paris.

Virginia said...

Hyper-real. Yep that's it. They are intriguing. THere is is something eerie about the light in these. Almost that funny color you get right before a tornado hits. Since we had sirens at 2 am, guess that's still on my mind.

I need a yoga class in the worst way. I think it would cure some sciatic nerve stuff. The question is if I get down, how would I get back up?? Since you're such a kid, that won't be a problem pour vous monsieur.

And yes, you and Olivier must meet. You'll recognize him easily if he still has on his red suit.

Knoxville Girl said...

Blade Runner in St Louis. I like.
(start unsolicited advice) And make some time to take the photos, smell the roses, and do the yoga, Bob. Or I'll start yammering at you about the benefits of tai chi and how it changed the way I move my fifty-something frame for the better. (end unsolicited advice)

Unknown said...

Great work!

Wayne said...

I've been a fan of Photorealism for years. My favourite proponent is probably Richard Estes.

There is no doubt you'd benefit from yoga. I've taken lessons but haven't kept it up. So it's another case of 'do as I say, not as I do'.

Tash said...

Stunning photo - just had to see it enlarged.
A few guys I work with started yoga after 50 & now couldn't go more than a couple of days without it. Sounds like a good for you kind of obligation.

Victor said...

I am not a fan of photorealist paintings at all but I like your HDR stuff very much. So go figure. And KG is right...do the yoga. I attended my first Yoga For Geezers class recently and am sold. Sore but sold.

Ming the Merciless said...

I like this photo a lot -- very artistic. I won't comment on photorealism since I'm totally uneducated on art history and art movements.

The armory in yesterday's photo was on the UES, 67th Street & Lexington Avenue. The ceiling looks like an airplane hangar but the interior is totally redone for exhibition.

Hilda said...

I followed your link and Estes' work is amazing! And so's yours — this sky is awesome!

Don't forget to register for the January theme day! And the February 2009 theme poll is up! Please vote if you haven't already :)