Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Apocalypse Now

.
It looks like the aftermath of an environmental disaster but it's just the industrial area south of the Arch. The big slab in the foreground is a section of the flood wall where graffiti art is permitted. The smokestacks in the background are across the river in Illinois. What makes if look like Mad Max would feel right at home here? HDR image processing, of course. In fact, I think I'll devote the rest of the week to HDR pictures. This ain't highbrow art but it's fun to make and can be quite dramatic.

WHAT ONE OF OUR CDPB COLLEAGUES MAY GET TO DO NEXT SUMMER:
spend a month in and around Paris (the individual is not French). Why not me? Why?


TOMORROW:
okay, I finally remembered the painter whose style these HDR photos remind me of. Check back Wednesday
for another high-volume urban landscape and I'll tell you about him.


There is a new Arch photo
today on GATEWAY.

12 comments:

Olivier said...

En effet, un effet de fin du monde, superbe.

mais on t'attend à Paris ;o)
In effect, an effect of the end of the world, a haughtiness. but they wait for you in Paris ;o)

Victor said...

It is indeed both fun and dramatic. Cheers!

Virginia said...

Holy Cow, this is downright creepy, B. The HDR thing adds to the nuclear fallout effect! A new look for you I think.
PS Mais oui, mais oui! Do you think I'm gonna need a Green Card???

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Nice. The floodwall is indeed fertile ground for this stuff. I like that old school bus in the mid ground too.

Bettey said...

There is so much to see in this picture. Great colors, great subject(s)!

Knoxville Girl said...

I'll admit that I've not been much of a fan of HDR, but I think it really makes this photo more dramatic.

PJ said...

Oh, puleeeese! This is totally PhotoShopped, Dude. No way!

Anonymous said...

PJ, dude. HDR is an image processing technique. So, actually it's not PhotoShopped, but exactly what the artist disclosed - HDR.

PJ said...

Ahem...
Anonymous, Bob and I are friends (I'm being snarky. He knows I think it rocks).

Anonymous said...

PJ, whew, Im glad to know. I become oddly protective of the artist's work because it's so cool, and he's so cool, and I love that he tries all sorts of new things. Thanks for letting me know!

Bob Crowe said...

I'm...so...cool? Ah, geez, guys, your going to give me a swelled head, as we used to say. Gonna change my name to a glyph and have people refer to me as the artist formerly known as Bob. And here I thought I was just an obsessive amateur photographer.

But seriously, folks...(rimshot) - I really appreciate it when people tell me they enjoy my stuff. A big part of the reason to make these images is some form of communication. Your comments help motivate me to keep pushing.

Anonymous, I'd really like to know who you are. Care to tell me privately at bob-text symbol rhyming with the word "that"- my first and last name squished together into one word - dot - com?

rob said...

Great Great Great! It's my first visit here! .. hello! please to meet you. I love this HDR!