Friday, January 2, 2009

Last Picture Of 2008

.
My last usable shot of 2008. We were asleep by 10 o'clock on New Year's Eve, old poops that we have become. The night was perfectly clear and there was an intense crescent moon setting in the early evening. I had to go out in front of my house with my tripod and see what I could get. Well, there is a lot more technique to photographing the moon than I realized, as my results, followed by some on-line research, showed me. Still, this has a certain interest, sort of Hopper-ish, if not much portal appeal.

WHAT WE DID YESTERDAY:
my wife and I had an nice New Years lunch together, followed by a visit to the St. Louis Art Museum to see the current show, Action - Abstraction. It's about Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning and the American painters of that era. Brilliant stuff.


TOMORROW:
my first picture of 2009.

11 comments:

bitingmidge said...

I hope you have a fantastic 2009 and maybe make it till midnight next time! ;-)

Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia

Sharon said...

I like this photo and you are so right, it does have a Hopper-ish look. I love Hopper. And, I'm jealous about he St. Louis Art Museum. Sounds like a great show. When I was working in St. Louis I spent a lot of time there, I feel like there are places in the museum I know by heart.

Jilly said...

Hopper is right. It's fabulous, Bob.

Virginia said...

If I saw this on the portal I would not have recognized it as a "Crowe" but you continue to amaze me. THis is a wonderful shot. I can't put into words what I like so much. It might be that Hopperesque, bold graphic feel and color. Oh and Bob, you might be an old poop but your our old poop as DC would say! I was gone by 10:30 myself.

Wayne said...

I think it's a great shot and your timing is good too. It wouldn't have sat in that spot for very long.

Just to be ornery I'm going to call it Hopper-esque.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Pretty neat. I like how you can see the detail on the shadowed part of the moon. Post or send me links to your moon technique research.

Sounds like a lovely New Years Day. I thought about checking out that show when I was in town. I'm sorry I didn't get around to it.

Victor said...

I beg to differ sir. Methinks this image has considerable portal appeal. It's one fine photo. Bravo!

Shutterup-Shutterbug said...

I was driving home the other night and saw this moon. When I got to my house I ran inside to get my camera only to discover that the moon was down behind all of my trees. So, I got back in my car and drove all around town trying to find it again, but it was too low in the sky behind every tree in town. I was so upset because I really wanted to try to get the shot. Glad you got it! Nice work.

Pat said...

I've been practicing "mooning," as I call it, which of course means photographing the moon! I'm getting better, but haven't had a shot yet I'll share. Yours is surreal.

Anonymous said...

I love this!

Nice composition!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!