Saturday, March 14, 2009

Portraits of St. Louis Artists - Michael Matthes

.
Michael Matthes won the Juror's Choice Award in the recent show at Soulard Art Market for the painting on the wall behind him. I like it a lot: Mondrian shapes, Frankenthaler colors and Dizzy Gillespie rhythm. Matthes is slowly and carefully developing the display of his art. He is working on a web site but it's not ready yet. I'll add a link here later on when I learn it's online. He will be the featured artist at an upcoming show at SAM. I'll note that when available, too. He's intense and has a lot to say, but says it quietly.

W
HAT WAS FUN AND DIFFERENT LAST NIGHT: We went to a performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance at the Touhill Center. It contains one of the wittiest songs ever written for the English-speaking musical theater (or should i say theatre?). Anyway, click here.

TOMORROW: Thomas Shepherd, photographer

4 comments:

Virginia said...

Well I'll fight you for that piece of artwork Bob. Love it as well. Mondrian is what I thought first as well. I'd like to see more of this young man's work.

How's Mrs. C? If she's at the theatre, sounds like she is doing well!
V

Sharon said...

Oh, I really like this painting. There is something about the colors and angles that really appeals to me.

Saretta said...

Interesting series, and I really like that painting!

cieldequimper said...

I really like the painting, probably because I'm a Kandinsky and Delaunay lover. Can't wait for the next one!