Saturday, January 30, 2010

Descent To The River

.
There are a pair of long staircases north and south of the Arch, leading from the bluff on which it stands down to the Mississippi. You can see something of their state of disrepair here, in contrast to the grand and well-maintained stairs directly in front of the monument (illustrated in this old post). Not many people use this approach so, of course, I am attracted to it. It's sort of the derelict (but not necessarily derelicts') approach to the great river.

9 comments:

brattcat said...

I like this long gradual approach too. It's got a sort of steely attitude, doesn't it? Use me if you want, ignore me if you care to, makes no difference to me.

Luis Gomez said...

Bob, thanks for your words. Your images are beautiful. This one is gorgeous. Love the light and textures.

Pat said...

I agree with you about the approach. I'd go this way, too.

Virginia said...

I like it too. The gradual climb must make for a nice walk up or down. HDR???
V

Unknown said...

Wonderful perspective and the colours are awesome!

Chuck Pefley said...

A nice strong perspective leads you up, up, and away. Nice drama and suspense with this image.

PJ said...

You got down low for this? It really changes the perspective of the deep steps, gives them some oomph.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» remembers this - he took these stairs the last time he was in St. Louis and visited the river.

Fernando Lipina said...

Amazing picture, Bob!!! Colour, angle and point of view... all incredible. Regards