Sunday, June 26, 2011

Better Them Than Me

.
Marine Week 7

When the Marine helicopter came back to pick up the troops shown in yesterday's post, they somehow attached themselves to a cable dangling from the chopper. They rose into the air as if hanging by a thread and flew back and forth across the Mississippi like this for good measure, perhaps a hundred meters over the water. They kept dangling, waiving at the crowd. Unimaginable.

Late evening post script: we just heard a performance of John Adam's Death of Klinghofer at Opera Theatre of St. Louis. I have not seen a more powerful work for the musical stage in recent memory. If you're into this sort of thing, you owe it to yourself to check it out.


The assault on our city continues on Downtown St. Louis 365.

Marine Week 16


5 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I prefer opera to this...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

And definitely better than me Bob.

Sharon said...

That is quite an image! Fantastic shot.

Birdman said...

I'll pass too. Watching from a distance would be close enough for my taste.

Lynette said...

Oh, my. I'm queasy just looking at the photo. It's a great photo, don't get me wrong, it's just that I cannot imagine hanging there like that, much less being flown back and forth across the ever-lovin' Mississippi River!