Saturday, October 25, 2014

Usual Stuff For The Season

Forest Park 2014-10-18 3

We rarely get the spectacular autumns Americans associate with New England or maybe Minnesota and Wisconsin. It's going to be 79F/26C today and that's just not cold enough. These pictures were taken in Forest Park last weekend. Good enough for us.

I decided not to go to the pumpkin drop this morning. It's almost an hour drive from home. The pictures from previous years don't look so great - a couple of World War II military planes  dumping little orange spots. There's more to photograph later in the day. Plus, Mrs. C and I babysat Madeleine last night so our daughter and her husband could get out by themselves. It goes without saying I brought my camera. 

Midday update: the family fact-checker, proofreader and editor has informed me that temperature is not the only factor with the leaves changing color. It's also the declining length of the days. Apparently, when there is less sunlight photosynthesis shuts off. When the green chloroplasts in the leaves are gone the color of the structure of the leaves comes out. Now I know.
 
Forest Park 2014-10-18 1


Forest Park 2014-10-18 2

10 comments:

s.c said...

Real crispy shots. Especially the first one. I like it.

Norma said...

I love autumn...especially in Forest Park.

Mrs. C and I did a little tree-watching while we were coming and going from the hospital yesterday....

Birdman said...

Tree tops on fire in your first image. Call 911!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

First shot is amazing Bob, like a magical garden ir something! Did I mention we will be in Sydney on Wednesday, cannot wait to get my hands on my wee granddaughter.. You guys are so lucky to see Madeleine often.

Halcyon said...

I like your fall colors. We have also been having a mild one here in Berlin. I don't mind it one bit!

William Kendall said...

Forest Park is just exquisitely beautiful!

cieldequimper said...

On the whole, your colours are much better than ours!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful series, Bob!

Stefan Jansson said...

Amazing colors and composition in the top photo. It need to be printed and framed.

Jack said...

Your first photo is a brilliant composition. Nicely done, Bob.