Tuesday, December 23, 2014

How About A Chess Set For Christmas?

World Chess Hall Of Fame 1

I don't know why I never got around to a post about this (maybe because I'm so hard up for material just now) but the World Chess Hall of Fame is in The Lou (as is the International Photography Hall of Fame, which I probably had a post about somewhere). It's not well known in the outside world but St. Louis is a hotbed of chess. The US National Champoinships have been held here for the last six years.

But wait, there's more! The Hall has the world's largest chess piece, certified by the Guinness Book Of World Records. It's 4.46 m or 17 feet, 4 inches tall, not even counting the seasonal carrot nose.. Bigger than your typical giraffe, as illustrated below.

I sort of know how to play chess. I tried to learn it in high school but I'm just terrible at it. Insufficient visual-spacial-analytic aptitude. Give me a camera and I'm just fine with space.
              
World Chess Hall Of Fame 2

World Chess Hall Of Fame 3

World Chess Hall Of Fame 4

6 comments:

s.c said...

The chess hall made for sure the most out of it.

Luis Gomez said...

Didn't know. I would like to visit.

Birdman said...

I wonder where the Candyland Hall of Fame is? That's my speed.

Sharon said...

I certainly did not know that St. Louis was a "hotbed" of chess and I didn't know the world Chess Hall of Fame was there. I've learned something new! I do however, love, love, love the musical "Chess" but, it doesn't get staged very often. Do you know that one? It has great music written by Benny Andersson, Bjorn Ulvaeus and Tim Rice.

villa said...

Beautiful photographs. Let this Christmas all our wishes come true.

Happy Holidays from Salamanca.

William Kendall said...

That's a huge chess piece!

I've never learned how to play the game.