Tuesday, March 10, 2015

At The Orchid Show

Mobot Orchid SHow 2015-03-07 4

I'm going to bounce back and forth between the floral event at the art museum and the orchid show at the botanical garden. I get around to shoot that more years than not, even though it is not much different over time. It's sort of a technical exercise.

In the past, I've mostly shot the orchids with my 16-35 mm or 24-105 mm lenses, using extension tubes to get the macro effect. If there was need for it, I used my flash gun with a diffuser. This year I took a different approach, using only a 100 mm macro lens and a ring flash (not a fancy one like this but the cheaper kind that slips over the front of your flash gun and then has a series of reflectors that encircle the lens). It's supposed to create smooth, even light. I didn't much care for what it did to flowers - the effect was more flat than smooth. See what you think.

Mobot Orchid SHow 2015-03-07 3

6 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm not sure I agree Bob, there's lots of definition here, perfect bokeh too. Every time I see beautiful orchids like these I want to head out and buy one.. haven't as yet, not sure why :)

Sharon said...

You probably know that I love taking flora photos so I'm going to enjoy this series. In fact, you've reminded me that I need to find out when our art museum does it's flowers and art show. I love to go the day it opens when the flowers are all fresh and whole gallery smells wonderful. I really like these two macros especially the first one. I think the light looks great.

William Kendall said...

The second shot in particular draws my attention, Bob.

Birdman said...

Always a bit partial to red, but gotta say the white has this one for me.

cieldequimper said...

Beautiful. I tend to kill them. Not intentionally I must add.

Jack said...

The first image is quite lovely and very sharp, though the second image is, as you indicate, a bit flat.