Sunday, April 17, 2016

Civic Pride


Everyone needs something to feed their self-esteem. We're sort of a third-rank (third-rate?) city so the generally successful baseball team gives us a boost.

I've been to a few World Series games here but the first one I attended was the one on that column for 1964. I was 14 and a rabid Yankees fan. Don't know how he did it but my father scored a couple of tickets to a game of the New York - St. Louis championship contest. The Cardinals won the game and I was bitterly disappointed. Little did I know...                   


8 comments:

Nathalie H.D. said...

That's the thing with supporting a team - what puts you on one side or the other? Nothing more than chance sometimes - haphazard reasons like the place you were born and raised, the place you moved to... I've never been able to say I belong to a specific place so I'd be unable to become a true supporter for any team.

s.c said...

Nice that red of the second photo. Also nice that you live in a place where you have a team that can win. Always good for the moral.

Luis Gomez said...

Gorgeous shots!

Memphis MOJO said...

One of my favorite things: a sea of red. Go cards.

William Kendall said...

Your city's devoted to them, and rightfully so.

Norma said...

And our sports teams have such cool colors--red for the Cardinals and blue, of course, for the Blues!

cieldequimper said...

Brilliant light but I know nothing about these things...

Jack said...

They have had a good run during your time in the city. My original city is Boston and Hartford is only two hours away, so I have kept my allegiances to the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins. For much of my time I have had at least one of those teams fighting for the top.