Sunday, June 12, 2016

Thar She Blows


Every once in a while I get across the river to shoot the Gateway Geyser. It is in Malcolm Martin Memorial Park in East St. Louis, Illinois. I see it from my office window but I'm not often free to visit at the right time.

It's quite a lot bigger than the Jet d'Eau in Geneva, which impressed me when I saw it, but ours goes off just three times a day, noon, 3 and 6, in the warmer months. It can blow as high as the Arch is tall, 630 feet / 192 meters, but only when the wind is soft. Otherwise it would rain all over the surrounding neighborhoods and can be a hazard for planes using a nearby private airport. I don't think it was at its maximum height yesterday.        

6 comments:

s.c said...

For a minute I thought vulcanic activity near St Louis but no its a man made eruption but a nice one.

Bill said...

That is a very impressive photo and it looks great in black and white.

Sharon said...

It looks a lot like our fountain at Fountain Hills. I haven't been out there to see it in ages.

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful sight it makes!

RedPat said...

I thought you meant a natural geyser too! It looks fabulous!

Jack said...

You've got Old Faithful right in St. Louis!